Sunday, March 4, 2012

Photography: 1960’s New York Skateboarders by Bill Eppridge

Skateboarding has always been an important part of my life. Although I don't practice that much lately (my body doesn't allow me to do it), I have some friends that still kick it hard, as Eduardo Ortiz "Vision" or Daniel Yabar. I'd like this post to be some kind of tribute for them and all those not so young skateboarders that still feel the need to ride almost everyday.

I've found some pictures from the 60's related to skateboarding. I think we all think in the typical Californian ambience when talking about early skateboarding, so watching all these pics made in NYC on the 60's has been really interesting for me:
From the lens of Photographer Bill Eppridge and brought to our attention by Retronaut, 1960s NYC goes skating. You get the feeling that someone just pulled up with a truck full of boards, handed them out and looked on as everyone went a little nuts. We can’t pretend we weren’t pulled in by the amazing garms some of these guys are sporting but these images are just about big fun. Respect to all the perfectly turned out ladies who don’t even bat an eyelid as out of control kids hurtle towards their ankles. Images via Life.

Source: http://www.selectism.com

No comments:

Post a Comment